Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Today Was A Fairytale

Sitting in HoCo today I received a text from my friend John saying simply, "today was a fairytale."  In the spring of Senior year Taylor Swift's "Today was a Fairytale" was released.  My friends John, Josh, and I had all of the same free blocks so would frequently make Wendy's trips.  Every time "Today was a Fairytale" came on the radio, John and I would raise the volume and sing on the top off our lungs.  From then on, it has been 'our song.'  As soon as I got home, I then had to listen to the long unheard song.  There were so many elements of not only fairy tales in general, but specifically Disney fairy tales in the lyrics of the song.  The main characters in a fairytale, a Prince and a damsel in distress, are both noted right in the first line.  Later, qualities of Disney fairy tales, magic and the well known kiss are both referenced.  Also, we have discussed in class a  lot about how reality is not as simple as a fairytale is.  But, in the song, a small encounter led to the "fairytale" feeling.  So, maybe fairy tales do exist in daily life; in the simple moments that leave us feeling happy.  Our own little 'happily ever after.'

"Today was a Fairytale" by Taylor Swift

No comments:

Post a Comment